When it comes to the hunt, accuracy and consistency is the key to success. And as bowhunters, we know that choosing the proper equipment can help us increase our accuracy and consistency when shooting. Lately, there has been a rise in bow hunters opting out of mass-produced arrows and instead building their own, or ordering them custom-made. This can help you tailor your arrow to exactly what you need in the field, but there are still pros and cons to both options.
- While there is the cost of purchasing your own supplies to make your own arrows, the price to buy the materials yourself will still often be less than the cost of custom-fletched arrows. You can also choose the exact materials you want for your arrows, rather than trusting you’ll like what someone else has on-hand.
- Additionally, being able to build your own arrows means you can make gradual adjustments as you go. If you have the supplies and know-how to construct your arrows, then you can make adjustments to the fletchings, the internal weight, and more.
- Building your own arrows will also help you learn. You’ll be able to understand arrow construction and the different effects it can have on your shot, which will make you a more well-rounded bowhunter. You’ll learn exactly what you like in an arrow, and what you don’t like, which is invaluable to hunting success.
- The time it takes to properly learn and construct your own arrows may be a deterrent. Properly building arrows requires research, patience, and skill which will only develop more over time. Those hunters looking for more immediately available options may not be willing to put in the time to build their own arrows.
- There is a lot of trial and error when it comes to constructing arrows yourself. If you’re not knowledgeable on arrow assembly or the different parts of the arrow, it can be easy to make mistakes. And, inevitably those mistakes can cost money when you’re the one buying your own materials.
- When you choose to buy custom-built arrows rather than making them yourself, you’ll be able to find builders that have a wide range of knowledge, and a good reputation to boot. People who offer services to build custom arrows are professionals with a keen understanding of the science behind arrow accuracy. This can save you time and money from having to learn the ins and outs of arrows yourself.
- Because people who make custom arrows run a business, you can trust their quality control. They stake their reputation on each arrow they produce, and they can tell you exactly what went into the construction of your specific arrow.
- Those who build custom arrows can build them to your exact specifications, from your draw length, to your draw weight, what animals you intend to harvest, and more. Their experience and knowledge of arrows will allow them to make adjustments to your arrow that you might not have thought of.
- With the level of detail and care put into custom-built arrows, the price reflects it. Custom-built arrows are expensive, and may be too pricey for the average hunter. Just one arrow can be 20+ dollars, and that adds up quick.
- Builders don’t have every single arrow component from every brand on hand, so if you want something specific you may limit your options on who can build your arrows.
- Because custom-built arrows require an extreme level of attention to detail, they take a while to make. If you can’t wait for a month for your custom arrows to get in, then this may not be the option for you.
When it comes to choosing custom vs. self-built arrows, make sure to consider time, money, your level of knowledge, and the level of commitment you have to learn to know which option is right for you.